Monday, October 15, 2007

Outdoors & Unplugged


A year ago today, a 6.7 magnitude earthquake struck the northwest coast of the island of Hawai‘i (The Big Island) at 7:07am, shaking the entire Hawaiian Island chain. The entire island of O‘ahu lost electricity for most of the day as power generators shut down.

At that moment in time, I was lying on my floor doing my Bible study, and prayed aloud for the shaking to stop. I could see one of the walls swaying side-to-side. Freaky! After that I called my folks, my daughters (one of them slept through it), then my pastor to see if we were still having our Sunday worship service.

Today's photo (turned the photo into a drawing via Photoshop) taken during praise and worship, was the result ... no matter what, Hope968 held its Sunday service ... outdoors & unplugged. The University of Hawai‘i at Manoa security shut the building down, but allowed us to have our service in the Art Building Courtyard. I wasn't going to let an earthquake stop me from attending church, neither did the other folks who attended.

For those who live in Hawai‘i, what were you doing (& where) when the quake struck? You can leave a comment if you wish.

2 comments:

JAM said...

An earthquake is something I've never experienced, and I'm not hoping to either, but I'm glad it wasn't severe for you.

Things like that and the few that still showed up for church made for a memorable service I'm sure.

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

I have experienced mild tremors once while I was in India and that itself was freaky .....I too am glad that it was not as severe as earthquakes can get!!!!