Sunday, February 3, 2008

Up Country Maui


This month's theme week is called "Off-Island", or photos I have taken while away from the island of O‘ahu.

Leading off the theme week is a photo of up-country Maui. That's the area of the lower slopes of Mount Hale‘akalā on the southern half of the island of Maui. It's comprised mostly of farm lands, plus small towns and neighborhoods, and it's a quiet and cool part of Maui. Unfortunately, some of up-country Maui is giving way to real estate developments.

I took this photo from about 6,000 feet as the Hawaiian Air flight that I was aboard, was making its approach to the Kahului Airport (OGG) from Portland, OR (PDX). What was amusing, was that I saved $50 by returning to Honolulu via Kahului, with a three-hour layover on the "Valley Isle", and it happened two consecutive years. Go figure ... worked for me, as it gave me some great photo ops of Maui, and airliner shots at OGG.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice shot!! My favorite island is Maui and I love up-country Kula!