Monday, November 24, 2008

2008 Grey Cup Champions


Congratulations to the Calgary Stampeders, who are the 2008 Grey Cup Champions of the Canadian Football League. The Stampeders beat the Montréal Alouettes 22-14 yesterday in Montréal's Olympic Stadium, before a crowd of 63,000 plus.

I was rooting for the Alouettes, since quarterback Anthony Calvillo sat out the last part of the 2007 season and playoffs to tend to his wife, who went through cancer surgery, and to care for their three young daughters. Calvillo led the East Division Alouettes to this season's champioship game, after his wife's condition stabilized. Even his teammates supported his decision last season. I thought, by winning the Grey Cup, it would have been a fitting reward, but It was not meant to be. I did get to see Calvillo play back in 1994, when he was a rookie quarterback with the Las Vegas Posse (part of the CFL's US expansion that lasted only two seasons) play against the BC Lions at the Sam Boyd Silver Bowl in Henderson, NV. The Lions won, 39-16.

I got the Stampeders mini helmet about a decade ago, and was trying to collect all eight teams ... I got halfway there. I guess someday, I'll get the remaining teams mini helmets.

1 comment:

Lori said...

What a heartwarming story about Anthony Calvillo and his family. He sounds like such a good guy! I would have rooted for the Alouettes too. Maybe they'll win next year. I hope his wife's health is better now.

Happy belated birthday, by the way! And 700 posts, wow, that's the most of any of the blogs I've seen! Congrats!