Friday, April 3, 2009

DC-8 Cockpit


This is the cockpit of Murray Air Douglas DC-8-71F, N872SJ. This cargo jet was in town a few years ago doing cargo runs between Micronesia and Hawai‘i. While it was undergoing some basic maintenance, a friend and I went over to take a peek at this classic bird. The guys working on the DC-8, let me take a look at the 1960s-vintage cockpit.

This DC-8 was originally delivered to United Airlines in the 1960s, and was registered as N8096U. After its stint with United, it was converted from a passenger airliner into a cargo freighter, and found its way to Murray Air (of Ypsilanti, MI) in 2005. Murray Air recently changed thier name to National AIrlines.

1 comment:

JAM said...

When I worked for Delta from 86 - 92, Delta had a few "stretch 8's" still in passenger service.

When I was working in Atlanta, I was at the hangars one day and they had the last one in the hanger being reconfigured and repainted to go to UPS as freight haulers.

DC8s were Delta's first passenger jets, if I remember correctly.