Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Celebration


World-renowned marine artist Wyland jumps for joy after completing his most recent masterpiece, "Koholālele", an Aloha Airlines Boeing 737-700. This "$100million canvas", as Wyland put it, was his 95th major art project. His goal is complete 100 "whaling walls" around the world, to draw attention to the fragility of nature's marine ecosystem, and a call to preserve it along with its inhabitants.

Whew! I nailed this pose on the first take, by setting my camera on a three-shot burst at 1/1000 sec. Sure enough, photo number two caught Wyland in mid-air. He asked if I wanted to get this pose for any potential magazine articles. Speaking of 1,000 ... I shot over 1,000 photos during the course of documenting the entire process, and the blessing on media day for Aloha Airlines. It was well worth it and a great experience!

I found out from Aloha Airlines, that they will be using another photo of Wyland painting the 737 in their 2008 calendar!

1 comment:

Lori said...

That's an amazing shot. I love that you can see his shadow on the ground. His painting on the plane is amazing too. What a cool project!