Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Pinwheels


I came across these pinwheels in a community garden, that's meant to scare away birds. The colored foil, movement, and sunlight seem to keep birds away.

The challenge for today's photo was ... waiting for the sun to peek from behind the clouds, timing the wind with the sun, getting both pinwheels to spin at the same time (though in opposite directions), and keeping the shutter slow enough as not to overexpose the shot, yet get some motion blur in the blades. I wasn't asking for too much, was I? After several tries, I got this one. Patience paid off.

1 comment:

JAM said...

When I was in first grade, oh so many years ago now, Mrs. Barlow taught us how to make a pinwheel and use a needle to stick it to the eraser area of a pencil. I remember sitting and blowing on that thing for hours when I got home, and alternately running outside to see if I could catch a breeze.