Friday, September 7, 2007

Spear Tips


These spear tips a top the ends of this wrought iron fence surrounds ‘Iolani Palace, the nation's only royal palace that was used as an official residence by a reigning monarch. Hawai‘i was an independent kingdom until the monarchy was overthrown by the US, and annexed in 1893.

I had wanted to get a wide shot of the palace from the King Street entrance, but was there too early, as the sun was almost behind the palace. I got this photo of the spear tips behind the palace, where the Capitol building is.

4 comments:

Lori said...

Great shot! The perspective is really neat there. I didn't know that about Hawaii's history. You'll have to go back when the light is right and show us the whole palace.

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

i like this one a lot...reminds me of something similar that i have from Key West...let me see if i can post it one of these days :)

Sunkyoung said...

The edges of tips worn away tells us their stories. I like it.

• Eliane • said...

Great catch. And I like your commentary.
I have to agree with Sunkyung. It looks like an army of little soldiers guarding the king palace.